Meta: As for every development process, numerous factors influence the cost of developing an app for businesses using Flutter. Here is how much does it cost to develop a Flutter app.
Are you considering developing a Flutter app but are worried about Flutter app development costing? If yes, this article is for you. Here is how much it will cost to develop a flutter app in 2022.
Businesses extensively utilize digital media to market their products/services in today’s technological era. As an effective digital marketing strategy, entrepreneurs’ effort to develop an application to reach consumers within their palms cannot be undermined. The cost of developing native applications suitable for various mobile and web platforms like Android, iOS, Windows, LINUX, MAC, etc., is very high in budgeting decisions.
Cross-platform application development is the key solution to reducing the cost implications of developing native apps. This blog discusses the various factors affecting the cost of developing a Flutter Application and thereby assists entrepreneurs in making critical budgetary decisions.
What is Flutter App?
Flutter is an open-source, cross-platform Software Development Kit (SDK) that enables the developers to construct an application using a single codebase that can run seamlessly on multiple platforms. Amidst all the Software development tools available to build a hybrid app, Flutter was developed by Google in 2017, using the Dart Language. The applications developed using Flutter need not be re-coded to make them run on diverse platforms.
Why Should Businesses Use Flutter?
Of all the platforms available to develop hybrid applications, why should businesses choose Flutter? Even though developing hybrid apps are cost-effective, they have significant challenges, like the slow loading time, aesthetically unattractive User interfaces, etc. Flutter overcomes all these shortcomings, and the advantages of using Flutter over other cross-platform app development platforms are discussed below.
- Open Source:
- Flutter is available for everyone and is an open-source SDK. Since Flutter is built using the Dart language, any software developer can quickly learn and use Flutter for application development.
- Uses Dart Language:
- Unlike other hybrid app development platforms, Flutter does not use Java Script, instead is developed using Dart. This makes the UI loading faster and aesthetically more appealing, just like the native applications.
- Comes With a Built-in Widget Library:
- Flutter has two large libraries with pre-designed, built-in customized widget libraries – Material widgets and Cupertino widgets. These widgets make the User Interface look very native to people using both Android and Apple. Developers can use this vast widget library to easily and quickly create a native-style UI.
- Reduces the App Development Cost and Time:
- Since Flutter uses a single codebase to develop apps that run seamlessly on multiple platforms, developing unique native applications is unnecessary. Therefore, the number of Software Developers teams and costs are reduced. The testing time is also considerably reduced since the Flutter apps need to be tested for compatibility only once before executing it on all the platforms.
- Flutter Apps Provides a Consistent User Experience:
- The App developed using Flutter provides the same aesthetically appealing User Interface to users across Android and iOS, providing a seamless user experience across platforms. The activities unique to the platform aesthetics, such as scrolling, clicking, icons, etc., can be integrated using the vast widget libraries in Flutter.
- Comes With a Built-in Rendering Engine:
- Flutter has an inbuilt rendering engine – Skia, which helps seamlessly display the UI without any hassles on the multiple platforms without lagging time.
- Flutter Apps are Flexible and Scalable:
- The Hot-Reload feature of Flutter enables real-time editing and viewing the effective changes instantaneously.
These factors increase the viability of Flutter as a viable option for developing hybrid apps.
Factors Influencing the Cost of Flutter App Development
As for every development process, numerous factors influence the cost of developing an app for businesses using Flutter. A few crucial factors influencing the app development cost are discussed below.
1. Complexity of the Application Features
The requirement for every business is unique, and so is their application. The features provided by the application to its users and their complexity are essential in determining the app development cost. Simple apps are comparatively less expensive to develop than apps with complex and real-time features.
If the app is developed to perform basic functions like log-in, it is simple and comparatively less expensive. But, the complexity and development cost are significantly higher if an app requires features like real-time chatbox, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning.
2. Complexity of the App Design
Design attributes to 20% of the app development budget. Depending on the industry and target audience’ demography, different businesses require different app designs. Some industries, like Entertainment, Fashion, Education, E-Commerce, etc., need a more animated and real-time application.
If the app is text and static-image based, then the design is simple. Whereas, if animations and real-time interactions are included in the app design, then the time and cost of the complex app design are higher.
3. Location of the Development Team
One major factor, as significant as the features and design of the app, in determining the development budget is the location of the software development team. Various developers charge different rates based on their geographic location and the experience of the developing team.
The below table lists the average hourly rates charged by Flutter App developers in different regions.
|Geographic Region||Average Charges per Hour (in US $)|
|Junior Developers||Senior Developers|
|North America||$100 – $150||$150 – $200|
|Latin America||$40 -$60||$60 – $80|
|Europe||$50 – $70||$100 – $150|
|Australia||$50 -$80||$80 – $150|
|Africa||$30 -$70||$70 – $90|
|Asia||$2- – $40||$40 – $100|
The average hourly charges of developers in various regions also depend on the experience and the quality of work.
4. Application Testing and Maintenance Cost
The Application Development budget does not stop with developing and launching the app but continues in the form of routine testing and maintaining the app. With advancements in operating platforms, applications should be tested, updated, and maintained to be relevant to the current user and technological trends. Maintenance and testing will incur 15% of the initial development cost.
5. Additional Costs
Other than the direct cost involved in app development, certain indirect expenses are incurred while launching the app and keeping it industry-relevant.
- App Markets releasing charges are applicable
- Security features require additional cost and resources
- Hardware expenses (ex: servers/backend-as-service)
- Paid third-party features (ex: payment gateways)
Apart from app development costs, these are some additional expenses indirectly incurred by the businesses.
How Much Does a Flutter App Development Cost in 2022?
Based on the above factors, such as the complexity of the features, the app design, the cost of the development team, hardware, and other resources, this blog attempts to give an approximate picture of the development cost.
An App Development Project can be classified into small, medium, and large projects based on the features and design of the app. The time required for app development based on the size is calculated; hence, the approximate cost can be determined.
|Project Size||Duration||Person-hours needed|
|Small Project||2 months||320|
|Medium Project||3 to 4 months||480 – 640|
|Large Projects||4 to 6 months||640 – 960|
To build a Flutter App, the development teams should have the following personnel:
- Software Developer
- QA Engineer
- Project Manager
- Business Analyst
- User Interface Designers
Based on the geographical location and the experience of the personnel, the cost can be calculated accordingly. The cost implications of developing Flutter Apps will equip businesses to make informed decisions.
How much does it cost to build an app? Let us conclude this; The cost of developing applications using any platform depends on the app’s complexity, workforce size, experience, and demography. However, compared to hiring different teams to build native apps for every platform is definitely 1.75 times higher than hiring one team to develop one app to run on multiple platforms. The time spent designing, testing, and launching native apps is much higher than developing apps using Flutter. Moreover, any business can use Flutter to build cross-platform apps, and top global brands are already using Flutter Apps.
Founder of Cmile. Expert in mobile app📱 & web🌍 development. Passionate about technologies💻. On mission🚀 to digitally solve people’s problems. Love to use emojis✌🏼